Born On:13 Jun 1987
Born In: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Film composer
- Playback singer
- Film producer
G V Prakash Kumar is an Indian film score and soundtrack composer, actor and singer. He has mainly scored music for Tamil films. His first film was S Pictures’ Veyil (2006) and he became popular in Tamil cinema by the early 2010s. He has ventured into film production and acting. Prakash is the nephew of the legendary two-time Academy Award-winning Chennai film music composer A. R. Rahman.
Prakash Kumar is the only son of G. Venkatesh and playback singer A. R. Reihana, who is the elder sister of music director A. R. Rahman.
As A Music Director
He first appeared as a vocalist on the soundtrack of director S. Shankar’s Tamil film Gentleman, composed by his maternal uncle, A. R. Rahman. He has also contributed to some of Rahman’s other projects. He had also worked with Harris Jayaraj and sang two songs in Anniyan and Unnale Unnale.
G.V. Prakash’s introduction as a film composer was in the critically acclaimed Tamil film Veyil, directed by Vasantha Balan and produced by director S.Shankar. His music in the film Madrasapattinam, directed by A.L.Vijay was appreciated mainly for his song “Pookal Pookum Tharunam”.
He went on to win critical acclaim for his music in Selvaraghavan’s drama film Mayakkam Enna, which became his third collaboration that featured Dhanush in the lead role. The album’s five songs were written by Selvaraghavan and Dhanush, with the pair also coming together to sing the song “Kadhal En Kadhal”. The album also included the song “Pirai Thedum”, which Prakash sang himself along with his fiancée, Saindhavi whilst another song “Voda Voda Voda”, written and sung by Dhanush, was composed in just 15 minutes and recorded within an hour. Rediff.com reviewed the soundtrack claiming that Prakash had “tried very hard to walk away from his comfort zone and provide the kind of edgy numbers Selvaraghavan demands, and has risen to the challenge”. Critics from entertainment portal Behindwoods.com cited that Prakash “reiterates his talent once again” and gave a verdict that the album is “intoxicating enough”. In late September 2011, a single track “Oru Murai”, written by Thamarai and composed and sung by Prakash in R. S. Infotainment’s Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal was released. His subsequent releases include the political satire Saguni and the background score of the Hindi crime film Gangs of Wasseypur. Songs of the movie Darling were hits. Especially “Vandha Mala”, “Anbe Anbe” and “Sattunu Idi Mazhai”. Prakash’s songs in Kaaka Muttai were massive hits. “Karuppu Karuppu” song was on charts for a few months. “Karuppu Nerathazhagi” was a huge hit from Komban. G.V. Prakash signed his 50th film with director Atlee that is Vijay’s 59th, which is named Theri.
As A Film Production
In 2013, Prakash Kumar launched his own production house under the name “GV Prakash Kumar Productions”. His first film, Madha Yaanai Koottam, was directed by Vikram Sugumaran, a former assistant of Balu Mahendra.
In 2012, director AR Murugadoss had seen a picture of G. V. Prakash on a poster promoting his work in A. L. Vijay’s Thaandavam and contacted him regarding a potential acting venture. Prakash agreed to star in the project and though the film later failed to take off, he remained interested in acting opportunities. He subsequently signed on to appear in three films in quick succession, with the three entering production simultaneously.
In order to further his acting ability, he took lessons from actor Aadukalam Naren and has noted his stage performances as a singer, which were also helpful in demonstrating his potential as an actor. Prakash was going to make his acting debut in a film titled Pencil opposite Sri Divya, where he will be seen playing a school student.
However, as Pencil’s release was delayed, his first release became the horror film, Darling. A remake of the 2013 Telugu film Prema Katha Chitram, the film got positive reviews. Trisha Illana Nayanthara got released on September 17. On the opening weekend, it collected 10 crores. It was a youth hit.
Kumar is also a social activist and participates in protests to create awareness on hydrocarbon issues and farmer concerns in India.
Prakash is married to singer Saindhavi.
- Filmfare Awards South : Best Music Director : Aadukalam(2011),
- Mirchi Music Awards South : Best Song of the Year – Pookal Pookum Tharunam – Madrasapattinam(2010),Best Music Director of the Year – Aadukalam(2011),Best Album of the Year – Aadukalam(2011),Mirchi Listeners Choice Best Album – Aadukalam(2011).
- MTV Awards : Best Regional Music Video – “Uyirin Uyire” from Thaandavam(2013).
- South Indian International Movie Awards : 2012: Best Music Director – Aadukalam(2012),2013: Nominated, Best Male Playback Singer – Neerparavai(2013).
- Vijay Awards : 2011: Best Music Director–Aadukalam(2011).
- Vijay Music Awards : Best Song Sung by a Music Director – “Yathe Yathe” from Aadukalam(2011),Best Folk Song of the Year – “Otha Sollaala” from Aadukalam(2011),Popular Album of the Year – Aadukalam(2011),Popular Duet of the Year – “Pirai Thedum” from Mayakkam Enna -Shared With Saindhavi(2011).
- BigFm Award for Best Duet of the Year – “Ayyayo”(2011).
- BigFm Award for Best Music director and Lyricist combination of the Year – “Aariro”(2011).
- Norway Tamil Film Festival Award for Best Music Director – Madrasapattinam(2011).
- Vikatan Award for Best Music Director – Aadukalam(2011).
- Film Fans Association Award for Best Music Director – Aadukalam(2012).
- 2006: Veyil.
- 2007: Oram Po,Kireedam,Polladhavan (3 songs),Evano Oruvan (Promo song),Velli Thirai,Kaalai.
- 2008: Kuselan,Ananda Thandavam,Naan Aval Adhu (2 songs),Seval.
- 2009: Angaadi Theru(4 songs),Aayirathil Oruvan,Irumbukkottai Murattu Singam.
- 2010: Madrasapattinam,Va,Aadukalam.
- 2011: Narthagi,Deiva Th irumagal,Mayakkam Enna, Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal.
- 2012:Saguni,Thaandavam,Paradesi,Naan Rajavaga Pogiren.
- 2013:Annakodi,Udhayam NH4, Thalaivaa,Raja Rani,JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai,Nimirndhu Nil.
- 2014:Naan Sigappu Manithan,Saivam,Irumbu Kuthirai,Darling.
- 2015:Pencil,Rajathanthiram,Komban,Idhu Enna Maayam,Kaaval(5 songs),Kaaka Muttai,Trisha Illana Nayanthara,Eetti.
- 2016:Visaranai,Theri (50th film),Enakku Innoru Per Irukku,Meendum Oru Kadhal Kadhai,Bruce Lee,Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru.
- 2019:Kuppathu Raja,Watchman,Asuran,Jail,100% Kadhal,Adangathey,4G,Ayngaran,Kadhalikka Yarumillai.
- 2020:Soorarai Pottru
- 2009: Ayyo Pavam.
- 2006: Vesavi,Ullasamga Utsahamga,Kathanayakudu,Nenu Tanu Aame,
- 2009:Evaro Okaru,Ananda Thandavam.
- 2010:Shopping Mall,Yuganiki Okkadu,Super Cowboy,Darling,
- 2011: Ballem,Nenu Autovani,Poornamarket,1947 A Love Story,Nirantharam Nee Oohalo,Nanna
- 2012:Endukante,Premanta,Sakuni,Siva Thaandavam,Paradesi.
- 2013:Ongole Githa(4 songs),NH 4,Anna – Born To Lead,Raja Rani,Rajadhi Raja,Janda Pai Kapiraju.
- 2015:Trisha Leda Nayanthara.
- 2009 : Ullasa Utsaha,Ayyo Pavam,
- 2010 : Punda
- 1980: Janma Janmada Anubandha, Pasidi Moggalu
- 1981: Bhari Bharjari Bete, Garjanai
- 1983: Niyaaya Geththidhu
- 2012: Gangs of Wasseypur,Joker.
- 2016:Half Ticket.
- 2008:Kuselan : Cameo appearance in “Cinema Cinema” song.
- 2013:Naan Rajavaga Pogiren : Cameo appearance in “College Padam” song,Thalaivaa : Cameo appearance in “Vaanganna” song.
- 2015:Darling,JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai : Cameo appearance in “Title” song,Trisha Illana Nayanthara.
- 2016:Pencil,Enakku Innoru Per Irukku,Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru.
- 2017:Bruce Lee,Anbanavan Asaradhavan Adangadhavan.
- 2019:Sarvam Thaala Mayam,Kuppathu Raja,Watchman,Sivappu Manjal Pachai,100% Kadhal,Ayngaran,
- 1993:Gentleman : Chikku Bukku Rayile: composed by A. R. Rahman,Uzhavan: Maari Mazhai Peyaadho: composed by A. R. Rahman,Uzhavan :
- composed by A. R. Rahman
- 1994:May Madham : “Madrasai Suthi”, “Palakkattu Machanukku” : composed by A. R. Rahman.
- 1995 : Bombay : “Kuchi Kuchi” : composed by A. R. Rahman,Indira : “Ini Achamillai”:composed by A. R. Rahman,Muthu : “Kuluvalilae” : composed by A. R. Rahman.
- 1999 : Mudhalvan : “Alagaana Ratchachiye” : composed by A.R.Rahman,Suriya Paarvai : “Ganapathi Thatha” : composed by S. A. Rajkumar.
- 2005:Anniyan : “Kadhal Yaanai” : composed by Harris Jayaraj.
- 2007:Unnale Unnale : “Hello Miss” : composed by Harris Jayaraj.
- 2010:Aayirathil Oruvan,”Indha Paadhai”,Aadukalam : “Yaathe”,Va : “Unnai Kann”, “Sharp Sharpji”,
- 2011:Mayakkam Enna : “Pirai Thedum”.
- 2012:Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal : “Oru Murai”,Thaandavam : “Anicham Poovazhagi”, “Adhigaalai Pookal”,Sundarapandian : “Rekkai Mulaiththen” : composed by N. R. Raghunanthan,Neerparavai : “Para Para” : composed by N. R. Raghunanthan.
- 2013:Madha Yaanai Koottam : “Kona Kondakari” : composed by N. R. Raghunanthan,Naan Rajavaga Pogiren : “Yaarivano”,Udhayam NH4 : “Yaaro Ivan”, “Vaa Iravugal”,Annakodi : “Pothi Vacha”,Biriyani : “Edhirthu Nil” : composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja.Raja Rani : “Imaye”, “Hey Baby”,Thalaivaa : “Yaarindha Saalai”,JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai : Nee Enna Pesuvaai”, “Facebook Login.
- 2014:Irumbu Kuthirai : “Penne Penne”,Naan Sigappu Manithan : “Elelo”, “Idhayam Unnai Theduthey”,Poriyaalan : “Kan Rendum” : composed by M. S. Jones,Ugly : “Suraj Hai” : Hindi.
- 2015:Darling : “Anbe Anbe”, “Sattena Idi Mazhai”,Rajathanthiram : “Yen Idha Paarvaigal”,Pencil : “Yaarai Polum”, “Kangaliliae II” , “LED Kannala II”,Komban : “Appappa”,Idhu Enna Maayam : “Iravaaga Nee”, “Irukiraai”,Kaaka Muttai : “Karuppu Karuppu”, “Edhai Ninaithom”,Kaaval : “Un Kannukullara”,Trisha Illana Nayanthara : “Bittu Padam Di”, “Yenachu Yedhachu”,Eetti : “Un Swasam”, “Naan Pudicha Mosakutiye”.
- 2016 : Theri : “Eena Meena Teeka”, “En Jeevan II”,Adra Machan Visilu : “Yaru Iva” : composed by N. R. Raghunandan,Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru : “Hey paathu podi” , ” Nee pona theruvula ” , ” Gum Zaare “,Bruce Lee : ” Sugar Mint-u Kari “.
- 2017 : Mersal : “Mersal Arasan” : composed by A. R. Rahman.
- 2018:Naachiyaar : “Unna Vitta Yaarum Illa” : composed by Ilayaraja,Lakshmi : “Ala Ala” : composed by Sam C. S.
- 2019:Sarvam Thaala Mayam : “Peter Beata Edhu” : composed by A. R. Rahman,100% Kadhal : “Kannum Kannum Plus”,Party : “Thean Pudhu Thean” :composed by Premgi Amaren
- Asuran : “Pollatha boomi “.