Name : Vidyasagar
Born On : 2 March, 1963
Born In : Vizianagaram , Andhra Pradesh
- Record producer
- Music director
Vidyasagar also known as “Gaanaa” Vidyasagar is an Indian composer, musician and singer best known for his super hit/blockbuster songs who works predominantly in the Malayalam, Telugu, Tamil and Hindi film industries. After working with several composers as assistant and conductor, Vidyasagar made his debut as a film composer in the 1989 Tamil film Poomanam.Working for over 225 feature films, he is the recipient of the prestigious National Award and five Filmfare Awards.
Vidyasagar was born to a Telugu musical family, as the son of Ramachander, a self-led musician himself, and Sooryakantham. He was named after the 19th century social reformer Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar. He was brought up in Bobbili, and got exposed to music at a very early age of 3 by his father. He underwent carnatic vocals training first and then started taking classical guitar classes in Chennai from Master Dhanraj along with A. R. Rahman and then later piano.
As A Music Director
1989 to 1996
Vidyasagar became an independent music director with the song “En Anbe” in the 1989 Tamil movie ‘Poomanam’ directed by Rajasekhar (Robert). Though Vidyasagar started his music career with a Tamil film, recognition in the Tamil music industry came to him much later. He shifted base to Telugu and from 1993 to 1996, Vidyasagar became the top music director in Telugu.
In 1994-95, Vidyasagar was picked up by Tamil actor-director Arjun, with whom he worked for many musically acclaimed films like ‘Jai Hind’, ‘Karna’, ‘Subash’ and ‘Sengothai’, though the movies themselves didn’t do well. Vidyasagar composed some of his best music for Arjun’s films with some melodic numbers like ‘Malare’, ‘Bhoomiae’, and ‘Padu Padu’ some of which went unnoticed. After a not so impressive start in the Tamil film industry Vidyasagar was discovered by Malayalam film industry.
1996 to 2001
From 1996 to 2001 Vidyasagar mainly concentrated on Malayalam films where he became the top music director. In Malayalam right from his first film “Azhagiya Ravanan” to “Meesa Madhavan” he struck the right cord. He has created scores in which ragas and rhythms combined to a good melody, which even bagged him four Kerala State Awards.
Vidyasagar’s love for melody has made him turn to the Malayalam film industry time and again, and the songs in hit films like Azhagiya Ravanan, Meesa Madhavan, Gramaphone, CID Moosa and Kilichundan Mambazham were all well received.
Through his music he experienced all kinds of song situations and he explored his talent to the maximum in that period. His film ‘Pranayavarnangal’ is still considered by many as one of the best albums ever cut in Malayalam industry. Malayalee listeners still see Vidyasagar as their hot favourite after Ravindran. Undoubtedly, the talented music director has given his best in the Malayalam film industry.
His career best was “Millennium Stars”(1999), in Malayalam, which was a WorldClass soundtrack. Some songs were bilingual, and India’s best singers, Dr. K.J. Yesudas and Hariharan sang together in these songs. Songs like “Parayan Nhaan Marannu” and “Shravan Gange” in this movie, were truly of the class of the world’s top soundtracks.
During this period, Vidyasagar’s song compositions in Tamil movies like 1998 Vijay starrer “Nilaave Vaa” and “Uyirodu Uyiraaga” starring Ajith did catch everyone’s attention and became quite popular but still the bad patch in Tamil films continued for Vidyasagar during this period.
Vidyasagar was probably the only composer in South India who has delivered many super hit songs during his early days but was not considered a success. Even today, some of Vidyasagar’s prior songs composed for movies are sung by music troupes. But the total success of the film counts ultimately because the music director will be identified with the film.
After a successful Malayalam career he made a come back into Tamil with “Dhill” and “Poovellam Un Vasam”. Songs in both of these films were instant hits. Then came “Dhool” which opened new doors in Tamil songs with the highly successful folk song ‘Ithanadu Kara Kodumae’, and great melody in ‘Aasai Aasai’.
With “Dhool” and “Dhill” under his belt, Vidyasagar was the talk of the town, for which he had to wait for 13 years. With a successful come back he then went on to compose music for some of the most successful films of the year 2002-2003 like “Anbe Sivam” and Madhavan’s “Run” which was a huge musical hit as well as commercial hit.
The music composed by Vidyasagar for movies released in 2003 “Iyarkai”, “Thithukudhe” and “Parthiban Kanavu” were highly popular in spite of the fact that some of these movies failed at the box office. Vijay’s “Thirumalai” was another hit album.
The year 2004 saw Vidyasagar come up with “Ghilli” which was an instant hit with the song ‘Appadi Podu Podu’ ruling the charts in Tamil music world. This was followed by other hits like “Madurey”, “London” and “Ji” in 2004-05.
In the year 2005, Vidyasagar received the national award for the Telugu movie ‘Swarabhishkam’ by K. Vishwanath featuring carnatic classical music. Vidyasagar continued his success spree by composing music for Rajnikanth starrer ‘Chandramukhi’ (he mentions this as a call from God), which was the biggest hit of the year 2005 and a comeback movie for Rajnikanth.
The audio of the movie was a best seller and the BGM (Back Ground Music) of the film was also released for the first time in the Indian music industry. He has composed music for the Hollywood movie “Beyond the Soul” directed by Rajeev Anchal.
The years 2004-2005 also saw him score music for the Hindi movie “Hulchul” directed by Priyadarshan. With Mozhi, Vidyasagar once again gave listeners some songs like “Katrin Mozhiye” and “Sevvanam Selaikatti” which were instant hits of 2007.
In 2008, Vidyasagar came up with chart-topping songs for “Kuruvi” starring Vijay. “Kuruvi”‘s music was well received by music critics and Vijay’s fans.
Vidyasagar is now a well known figure in the Tamil film music industry, often for his hugely popular numbers composed for movies starring Tamil superstars Vijay and Vikram.
- Asianet Film Awards Best Music Direction : Pranayavarnangal(1998),Chandranudikkunna Dikhil(2000),Mulla(2008).
- Asiavision Awards Best Music Direction : Mulla(2008),Neelathamara(2009).
- Filmfare Awards Best Music Direction : Summer in Bethlehem(1998),Niram(1999),Meesa Madhavan(2002),Neelathamara(2009),Diamond Necklace(2012)
- Kerala State Film Awards Best Music Direction : Azhakiya Ravanan(1996),Pranayavarnangal(1998),Devadoothan(2000),
- Kerala Film Critics Association Awards Best Music Direction : Azhakiya Ravanan(1996),Krishnagudiyil Oru Pranayakalathu(1997),Pranayavarnangal(1998),Niram & Chandranudikkunna Dikhil(1999),Devadoothan(2000),Meesa Madhavan(2002),Chanthupottu(2005),Rock n’ Roll(2007),Mulla(2008),Neelathamara(2009),Diamond Necklace(2012).
- Mirchi Music Awards Mirchi Listener’s Choice Song of the Year – Anuraga Vilochananayi : Neelathamara(2009),Best Music Direction : Diamond Necklace(2012),
- National Film Awards Best Music Direction : Swarabhishekam(2004)
- Tamil Nadu State Film Awards Best Music Direction : Dhill(2001), Thavasi(2001), Poovellam Un Vasam(2001),Mozhi(2007).
- NTR National Award in 2004
- 1988: Paravaigal Palavitham,
- 1989: Poo Manam
- 1990: Seetha,Nila Pennae,Aatha Naan Pass Ayittaen.
- 1993:Maathangal Ezhu
- 1994: Jai Hind
- 1995: Karnaa,Pasumpon,Murai Maman,Villadhi Villain,Mr. Madras,Ayudha Poojai.
1996: Coimbatore Mappillai,Musthaffaa,Sengottai,Priyam,Subash,Tata Birla,Nethaji.
- 1997: Pudhayal,Thaali Pudhusu,Aahaa Enna Porutham,Arasiyal.
- 1998: Nilaave Vaa,Thaayin Manikodi,Uyirodu Uyiraga.
- 1999: Ethirum Pudhirum,Suyamvaram,Pooparika Varugirom.
- 2001:Dhill,Poovellam Un Vasam,Vedham,Alli Thandha Vaanam,Thavasi.
- 2003:Dhool,Anbe Sivam,Anbu,Pallavan,Well Done,Parthiban Kanavu,Aahaa Ethanai Azhagu,Kadhal Kisu Kisu,Thithikudhe,Alai,Thirumalai,Iyarkai,Joot.
- 2005:Ji,London,Thaka Thimi Tha,Chandramukhi,Kana Kandaen,Power of Women,Ponniyin Selvan,Majaa.
- 2006:Paramasivan,Aathi,Pasa Kiligal,Thambi,Em Magan,Sivappathigaram,Poi.
- 2008:Pirivom Santhippom,Arai En 305-il Kadavul,Kuruvi,Muniyandi Vilangial Moonramandu,Jeyam Kondaan,Alibhabha,Raman Thediya Seethai,Ellam Avan Seyal,Mahesh, Saranya Matrum Palar,Abhiyum Naanum.
- 2009:Kadhalna Summa Illai,1977,Peranmai,Kanden Kadhalai,Ilamai Itho Itho.
- 2010:Mandhira Punnagai.
- 2011:Magizhchi,Ilaignan,Siruthai,Kaavalan,Thambi Vettothi Sundaram,Sadhurangam.
- 2013:Thalaivan,Puthiya Thiruppangal,Jannal Oram.
- 2016:Uchathula Shiva.
- 2017:Thiruttu Payale 2.
- 1996: Azhakiya Ravanan,Mahathma,Indraprastham.
- 1997: Varnapakittu,Oru Maravathoor Kanavu,Krishnagudiyil Oru Pranayakalathu.
- 1998: Pranayavarnangal,Elavamkodu Desam,Sidhartha,Summer in Bethlehem.
- 1999: Ustaad,Ezhupunna Tharakan,Chandranudikkunna Dikhil,Niram.
- 2000: Millennium Stars,Dreams,Sathyam Sivam Sundaram,Mr. Butler,Daivathinte Makan,Madhuranombarakattu,Devadoothan.
- 2001:Dhosth,Dubai,Randam Bhavam.
- 2002:Gramaphone,Meesa Madhavan.
- 2003:Kilichundan Mampazham,C.I.D. Moosa,Pattalam.
- 2004:Rasikan,Nothing but Life.
- 2005:Alice in Wonderland,Chandrolsavam,Kochi Rajavu,Chanthupottu.
- 2007:Kaiyoppu,Raakilipattu,Goal,Rock ‘n’ Roll.
- 2010:Paappi Appacha,Apoorva Ragam.
- 2011:Makeup Man.
- 2012:Spanish Masala,Ordinary,Diamond Necklace,Thappana.
- 2013:3 Dots,Pullipulikalum Aattinkuttiyum,Nadodimannan,Geethaanjali,Oru Indian Pranayakadha.
- 2014:Bhaiyya Bhaiyya.
- 2015:Mariyam Mukku,Ennum Eppozhum,Anarkali.
- 2016:Thoppil Joppan,Jomonte Suvisheshangal.
- 2019:Daniel Kelkkunnundu,My Santa.
- 1989: Dharma Teja,Alajadi,Sahasame Na Oopiri.
- 1990:Vishnu,Doshi Nirdoshi.
- 1991:Prema Entha Madhuram,Kadapa Reddamma,Sarpayaagam,Minor Raja,Teneteega,Parishkaram,Jagannatakam.
- 1992:Allari Pilla,Pachani Samsaram,Raguluthunna Bharatham,Manavarali Pelli,420,Kalikaalam,Madhavayya Gari Manavadu,Chitram Bhalare Vichitram.
- 1993:One by Two,Alibaba Aradajanu Dongalu,Mugguru Monagallu,Urmila,Enti Baava Mareenu,Pillalu Diddina Kapuram,Prema Chitram Pelli Vichitram,Chirunavvula Varamistava,Asale Pellayinavaanni.
- 1994:Donga Rascal,Bangaru Mogudu,Aame,Allarodu,Vaddu Bava Thappu,Chilakapachcha Kaapuram.
- 1995:Simha Garjana,Vetagadu,Rowdy Annaya,Mummy Mee Aayanochadu,Alibaba Adbuthadeepam.
- 1996:Ladies Doctor,Akkum Bakkum.
- 1997:Thaali,Mama Bagunnava,Rukmini.
- 1998:Gamyam,Veedu Samanyudu Kaadu,Aayanagaru.
- 2002:O Chinadana,Neetho.
- 2003:Naaga,Ottesi Cheputunna,Dongodu.
- 2004:Nenu,Swarabhishekam.Bangaram,Sundarakanda,Sasirekha Parinayam.
- 1997: Ganga Yamuna.
- 2008: Kaamannana Makkalu.
- 2004: Hulchul.
- 2008: Mere Baap Pehle Aap